Saturday, November 23, 2013

Red Velvet Deliciousness

So to celebrate the holidays, a bunch of my girlfriends got together for a cookie exchange. Each girl brought a different cookie to pass around, and at the end, everyone went home with one of each cookie. I wanted to bring something that I had never made before, but I was worried it wouldn't turn out, so off I went to the internet.

As much as I love to bake, I rely a lot on box mixes. They are easy to make, but sometimes they just don't taste as good as a homemade dessert. I have one recipe that uses cake mix as the cookie base that really gives the cookie a moist texture, so I thought I might make those. Instead I found this awesome recipe for Red Velvet Sandwich Cookies, which also uses a box of cake mix for the badder. This recipe is super simple, yet it looks like it takes forever to make. These cookies are absolutely delicious, and are a cinch to whip up. Don't let the icing fool you. With less than 10 ingredients in the entire cookie, you can make these! I will definitely be trying these again with a different kind of cake mix. Maybe next time I'll try for some pumpkin cookies. Here is the recipe:

Red Velvet Sandwich Cookies

Ingredients
    Cookies:
  • 1 (18.25 oz.) box red velvet cake mix (Any flavor can be substituted)
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 cup canola oil
  • 2 tablespoons flour
  • Filling:
  • 4 ounces cream cheese
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1 teaspoon milk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 2 cups powdered sugar
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. To make cookies, mix together cake mix, eggs, oil and flour. Scoop onto lightly greased or parchment lined baking sheets. Bake for 8-10 minutes, until tops look cracked. Cool completely. Meanwhile, make the filling by beating the cream cheese and butter with an electric mixer. Mix in milk and vanilla, then beat in powdered sugar until smooth. Place 1-2 tablespoons of filling in the center of a cookie. Top with a second cookie and press together until the filling reaches the edges of the cookies. Makes about 15 sandwiches.
- See more at: http://www.letsdishrecipes.com/2011/01/red-velvet-sandwich-cookies.html#sthash.zDzgUjNA.dpuf



No comments:

Post a Comment